Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Something's a little shady here....

I specifically made this card to try a technique I've never done before, have seen it done many times by the wonderful Kiara and the sweet Donna! I finally asked Donna how she gently shades the inside edge of a Nestabilities Die, and with that, she showed me how:

Green and Pink Tree

And I tell you, it was NOT easy for a first timer like me!! Love this technique but I had 4 mistakes before I finally liked this version. It was hard keeping the nestie completely firm to sponge up to the very end edges....not to mention giving it the smoothest texture possible.

The color I used to do the shading is Tim Holtz' Spun Sugar....yummy color! I colored the tree in coordinating green and pink and added a little felt butterfly and heart button.

I love the delicate color of the pp from K & Company! Thanks so much Donna for the tip! I'll keep practicing!

Enjoy!

Supplies:
Hero Arts:
PS566 - Snow Folded Cards.
K5062 - Stamping Green Tree.
CL435 - So Artsy.
CH212 - Foliage Mixed Accents.

Other:
Spellbinders Nestabilities - Labels 8.
Tim Holtz Spun Sugar Ink.
Making Memories Butterfly and button.
K & Company patterned paper.
Assorted markers.
Cuttlebug.

22 comments:

Dawn said...

You did an excellent job of your shading. I sometime very carefully tap the edged down and that helps. It is a great card Tiffany, such pretty colours.

Lin said...

Looks great, Tif! But I can see how that might be hard to do.....Love seeing that beautiful tree.

Nancy said...

That card is gorgeous, the colors are so yummy. Great job with the new technique, it looks wonderful.
bless you,
nancy

Barb said...

This turned out beautifully, Tiff! Sure doesn't look like you need more practice! I love that Spun Sugar too! :)

Vanessa said...

I love this technique and I love how your card turned out! Beautiful tree! Love the spun sugar ink, too!

ivy said...

i haven't used that tree in a while! you reminded me i should take it out more often. i love it!

Stamping Cafe said...

Totally gorgeous card, Tif! You are too sweet to mention my name! You did such a beautiful job, I don't think you will need any more practice!!

vera rhuhay said...

Wow...beautiful done,Tiff!
Love the colors too...Beautiful card!

debbie said...

You did a fabulous job, so pretty!

Mary Perry said...

Gorgeous! Yes I am still checking you out, lol. I am becoming a huge Tim fan, and love playing with all his stuff.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, but hopefully things are getting better.

Kelly Booth said...

So PRETTY Tif!! I LOVE this card and still Love that Tree....Hugs!

Kathy (krolski) said...

Wow, your shading is gorgeous Tiff! I would love to hear tips on how this is done. Your really brightened my day. Such a cheery card! You're making me really want that spun sugar ink! :)

Kathy (krolski) said...

I meant your card really brightened my day! :)

Fika said...

Love the yummiest pink shading on your card Tif.. Wish you could share the tips too. For me your shading is perfect!! and i really LOVE it! Great job Tiffany ;)

Marilyn said...

Beautiful card Tiff! You did a wonderful job shading the nestie shape with ink!

Maylee said...

I think you did a FAB job at shading this card. Love that spun sugar color!

Diana said...

I LOVE trees! ADORE this card Tiffany.

Anne Gaal said...

Hi, Tiffany! I just adore this Hero Arts tree! Gorgeous card! :-)

donna mikasa said...

LOVE how this turned out, Tif! The shading really makes the tree pop! Hoping to see more of this technique on your fabulous cards!

Sanne said...

great card Tif! Cute detail with that little butterfly!

Alice Wertz said...

really pretty card, Tiffany!! LOVE the shading you did!! gotta love spun sugar!! =) love this!

Suzanne C said...

Wonderful design and perfect blending around the edges! Well worth the effort.