Monday, October 12, 2009

Holiday Accessories

Hey all! It's a new day.....a new week....I'm ready....got a lot of rest last night and I peeked at my calendar for the week, very busy, some appts. to go to and a teacher's meeting...so in between all of that....I'll get in some crafting time too.....have you heard about the new challenge over at Hero Arts??

Sally heads it up this week and it's all about Holiday Accessories! How fun! I LOVE accessories...bling, ribbons, sequins, glitter....you name it....I try not to overdo my cards with embellies but often times I do! Here is a fun little snowman you can make for your holidays.....it is easy.

You will need to start off with a 'ribbed' tube sock - you'll see why it's important that you get a RIBBED one instead of a sock with no rib at the top - it's just more fun!

You may use any combination of these products to 'stuff' the sock and form the body of your snowman: styrofoam balls, dried coffee or jelly beans, buttons, marbles, etc.

Take your item, and in my case, I used a styrofoam ball, keep in mind that depending on how tall you want your snowman or how 'chubby' you want him, will depend on how much of the above accessories you will need. The first styrofoam ball will be slipped into the sock and place it all the way at the bottom......squeeze and form the sock tightly around the ball....you don't want to see any 'air' pockets.

Take a piece of small twine and tie a knot tightly right above the styrofoam. Stuff your next styrofoam ball on top of the bottom layer.

Once again - tighten as you go along and tie another notch at the top of the sock, snip off the remaining area of the sock.

Now you are ready to decorate the body of the snowman with any embellishment you want!
The funnest idea that I got was to give him his own winter hat........this is where the ribbed portion of the sock comes in! The part of the sock that you snipped off should still have the ribbed area remaining....take that piece and pull it over the top of the snowman's head....and voila....instant winter cap! Tie another notch and snip at the top again.....use your hand to puff out the remaining sock layers to form your makeshift pom pom at the very top.

Here is a sequin I used from an older Hero Arts set I have:

Have fun with it!


Enjoy! Hope the tutorial wasn't too confusing!



Materials used:

Stryofoam balls.

Ribbed white sock.

Stamps, sequin, and pearl gems: Hero Arts.

Bubblegum pink ribbon.

White lace trim.

Chocolate buttons.

Twine.




23 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow oh wow Tiff I just love this project so wonderful and so well executed!! Glad you found some time to create...love this adorable snow man!

Jen said...

oh my word. that is one of the cutest snowmen i've ever seen!! um, looks like we'll be making a couple of these...thanks for the inspiration...so CUTE!

Patricia said...

OHHHHHHHH MY GOD I LOVE IT WHAT A FUN IDEA TAHNKS FOR SHARING .

Dawn said...

This is just amazing. Love it. Thanks for the instructions

lauren said...

oh my gosh!!! this is just TOO CUTE AND TOO CLEVER!!! i am bookmarking your tutorial so i can come back after stealing a few of my sweet nephew's teeny socks...ribbed ones, obviously, thanks for the tip!!! :)

Stamping Cafe said...

OMG....this is way too cute, Tif!! You are just awesome!

Anonymous said...

SWEET, Tif.......JUST LIKE YOU! ADORABLE and I just LOVED reading the part in your blog where you mentioned that you GOT PLENTY OF SLEEP! YIPPEE! Does your snow person have a NAME???? How about, "Cutie Pie"??????? It made me SMILE BIG. Love, Karen xoxo

Anonymous said...

SWEET, Tif.......JUST LIKE YOU! ADORABLE and I just LOVED reading the part in your blog where you mentioned that you GOT PLENTY OF SLEEP! YIPPEE! Does your snow person have a NAME???? How about, "Cutie Pie"??????? It made me SMILE BIG. Love, Karen xoxo

SmilynStef said...

Love that cute ribbed hat and fabulous ribbon scarf ... adorable.

Diana said...

Oh, he's just PERFECT Tiffany

Tomo H. said...

Oh wow! What a cute creation to use socks!
Love it! :)

Jill said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Yours is great-- I will be stopping by often!! This snowman is thee CUTEST! -Jill

Virginia L. said...

How cute !!!! Love your snowman, Tif! Every little detail is sweet and adorable! I love the buttons, ribbons...you have everything JUST right!

Suzanne C said...

Adorable and cute! Love your little snowman!

DottyJo said...

Tif, this is soooo cute! I feel a little kiddies craft session coming on at my library featuring this little cutie pie! Jo x

ivy said...

so so cute! the best part is the scarf!

Kelly Booth said...

THIS...is about the CUTEST thing I have seen in a LOOOOOOOng Time!!!
Love it.....

dstandard said...

What a precious little project!

Vanessa said...

I can`t believe this fun snowman, Tiffany! This is adorable and clever and super cute! Amazing!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Savitri said...

This dude is the CUTEST thing!!! Wow! I made one last year or two... it was for a church function and it was no way close to this cute!!! LOVE!

Nathalia Castellon said...

ADORABLE! I can see these as gift ornaments for Christmas presents! :)

Sue-ann said...

This is just divine, I might have to make some of these myself this Christmas!!

Le Blog de Kafran said...

Super ce petit bonhomme...merci