Friday, January 16, 2009

Postage Stamps.....and a Layout entitled, "Brand New"....

Wow, it's Friday....I have a long post today and lots of fun stuff to share so lets get started.....do you like postage stamps as much as I do??? Ok, I admit....I love buying only the pretty ones when they come out....I buy pretty floral or heart stamps for birthday cards and other special occasion cards....the traditional flag denominational stamp - I use on bills...lol....

So when I saw the new Lizzie Anne Designs' stamp set called So Much Love, I just knew exactly how I wanted to play with some of the stamps:

This set was designed by Joslyn Nielson from Lizzie Anne Designs. Aren't these birds just adorable?? Can you imagine if the USPS actually made this into a real stamp....I think that would be cute!! I paper pieced both birds on all of these cards you see here.

I couldn't stop, I had to make another one:


And then I wanted to make one with florals - after cutting out this 'postage stamp', I adhered it to an actual card:

I can't wait to experiment more with this set...whohooo...I could think of a whole bunch of different combinations to play with...it will be so much fun!!

Now on to my next project - a layout that is very special to me.....I still have a lot of baby pics of Chris that have just been sitting there all these years and have not been scrapped! I seem to be going backwards - retroactively and catching up on my scrap pages....I must say I have more scrap pages of Chris as an older child than as a baby.....just didn't have as much time back then!

So here is a sentimental kind of a memory organizer that you can also fill with baby mementos - see how the scallop end here is slightly open?

So it serves double duty as a finished layout for my album and a special place to store his old hospital photos, ultrasound photos, his crib name tag, a baby bracelet, his birth announcements, and a whole bunch of other memoribilia.
Here is a closeup shot of the pocket opening:

And the journaling I layered on top of the photos using my text editor, I don't know if it's too small to read so here is the journaling:

newborn baby christopher

It was a day to remember, my sweetest baby boy! Your mom had the perfect pregnancy up until the hospital visit. The excitement in the air was undeniable. Your mom was 2 weeks late and so anxious to see your little face and to hear your very first cry! Oh, I know, sweetie, you were nice and warm where you were, and oh so safe. The night that you were born was filled with much anticipation and drama. The hospital staff was preparing for your entry into the new world...but my little one struggled. I remember hearing the doctors voice calmly telling me that something was terribly wrong and that I would have to undergo an emergency c-section. There was a slight moment of hesitation but we knew you were ready to come and be with us. The surgery went well and your first tiny cry was the brightest moment of my life!
November 30, 2004
brand new


This was a really difficult design for me because I knew that the journaling would reveal difficulties that I encountered during labor - something dramatic and is not easy to share - but I somehow wanted to incorporate that into a soft and smooth flowing layout that would still capture the audience....so this was my finished product.

Hope you enjoy them all!

I'm taking a break on Saturday from crafting and am having a girl's day out!!! Yay, see you all back on Sunday.


Materials used for Postage Stamps:


Stamps: So Much Love by Lizzie Anne Designs.

Papers: LAD French Floral. Berry Sorbet from PI. Basic Grey's Sultry Collection and BG's Urban Prairie.
Making Memories: Pins and ribbon.

Numeric stamp only: Papertrey Ink.

Pink lace ribbon by Doodlebug Designs.


Materials used for Layout:
Papers: Bazzill and Making Memories Boho Chic collection.
Stamps, florals, and gems: Hero Arts.

Button and purple brad: Making Memories.

Butterfly diecut: Making Memories.

Ink: Frost white.

Martha Stewart Scalloped edge punch.

Ribbon?

4 comments:

Mary Perry said...

Your postage stamps are wonderful. I love them, and love the stamps.

Your layout, beautiful, and so full of love. Brought tears to my eyes when I read your journaling.

Your masterpieces inspire me. Gonna send an email here in a minute.

ivwhy said...

so pretty! love your birds!

the LO is great! brandon was 1 wk late....could've been longer too but i ended up being induced. i developed a nasty rash you only get when u r pregnant & carrying a boy & it was driving me CRAZY so i asked to be induced. 2004 must've been the year of late babies!

BTW, that santa was at the spectrum.

joslyn said...

LOVE the postage stamps. So cute and i am glad you like the birds as much as i do. they are very fun to paper piece!!! great work.

Stamping Cafe said...

I love the postage stamps, they are so cute!

What a fabulous layout! I love the journal, it's so moving!

Have fun with your girlfriends and a wonderful weekend!