Friday, August 1, 2008

August - a month for new inspiration!

August - wow! What can I say - a lot of things going on in August....I have 7 close friends that have birthdays in August...my B-day is also in August. Some former presidents birthday's are also in this month...lol....we have some upcoming family trips that are planned sometime this month....busy, busy...fun, exciting, adventurous....but mostly I define August as 'refreshing'.

Refreshing because new inspiration has come to light for me and for the past few months, it's been a quiet secret of mine. ;) Ok, so the secret is out now, what is this new inspiration that I've acquired that has made me all giddy with joy? FABRIC.....sensuous, soft fabric...beautiful to the eye, mesmerizing to the touch.

On my own time, I've been perusing through local quilting stores and also stores online, checking out all the fascinating and somewhat overwhelming amount of fabric selections that are offered out there! Oh my!

I am by NO means a seamstress, ask anyone in my family. I do not sew or know how to sew....I wholeheartedly admit that....except for the occasional basics of a missing button on a shirt..yes, I can manage that....but I am taken back to a time during my early high school years, when in my sewing class, one of our projects was to sew a sweat shirt....somehow I ended up accidentally sewing 4 arms onto the shirt....my mom had to painstakingly rectify my horrific sewing skills back then in order for me to actually pass that class! It faired well in the end.

There will be many ways for me to incorporate fabric into my paper crafting, and for the months to come, the fun will be challenging myself to see what I can come up with! So for my August banner, I had so much fun playing fabric 'origami' if you will, and decided to make a fun dinner table setting. Here are some of the details.

A close-up of (2) decorated pillow gift boxes and a name tag...guests love it when you personalize their names on cute little cards at table settings:



Another name tag:

And here is a photo of another folded napkin in which I made but it never made it into the final photo cut, so I left it out:


Enjoy! And may you always find new inspiration in everything you do!



Materials used:

Fabrics: Kaffe Fassett and Heather Bailey.

Papers, clips, ribbons, tags, exopy buttons, and alpha letters by Heather Bailey.

Florals by Prima.

Brads by Making Memories.





No comments: